Saturday, December 14, 2013

A 19 year old in the house!

December 14th is a day of celebration in our house.  That was the day we became parents with the birth of our first daughter, Kemie.  We actually began a day early with the midnight premiere of The Hobbit, Desolation of Smaug.  Victoria dressed up as an elf but we were disappointed that they didn't do trivia and a costume contest like last year.  Of course, we didn't go to the 3D at the Imax either so I guess that was why.
 
 After we finally woke up the next morning and had a very late breakfast of sausage, bacon, eggs and biscuits along with apples and peanut butter dip, we gave Kemie gifts.  I think she was still tired !


The first gift from 3 of her sisters was appropriate both in being a pillow and with the mustaches!
 

There was also a pair of mustache glasses.  Very cute!  The lovely scarf she has on was a gift from her grandmother who recently learned to crochet.
 

Next she opened her gift from Mike and I.  I had originally ordered a Hobbit Cookbook but didn't realize it was a preorder and isn't going to be printed until sometime next year.  I cancelled the order and am suppose to get a refund but they said they would still send me a copy of the book so we will see.  Anyway, I scrambled for another gift and thankfully, she had recently mentioned she would like a pair of noise reducing headphones.


I think she liked them!


The last gift was from her little sister who asked if she could give part of her Christmas gift to her as a birthday present.  What she had wrote on the outside of the bag didn't earn her brownie points with her other sisters.


Are you detecting a theme with her gifts?  These are stands to hold her phone or iPod.  They also have magnets.


We then made our way to downtown St. Augustine for dinner and a scavenger hunt.  We broke off into 2 teams and looked for the following items.

1.    Green/white Candy Cane
2.    Santa Claus
3.    Mrs. Claus
4.    Baby Jesus
5.    Purple light
6.    Gold Wrapped gift
7.    Jingle bell
8.    Christmas bell
9.    multi colored christmas wreath
10. Elf
11. Santa hat
12. Reindeer
13. Train around the tree
14. Snow
15. Snowman (different place than snow is found)
16. Angel
17. Camel
18. moustache (extra points for different shapes or unusualness)
19. nutcracker
20. blue stocking
21. gingerbread house
22. decorated Christmas cookie
23. cardinal
24. fireplace (extra point for fire going)
25. connected Mary & Joseph

 No real winner although the other team said they had found about 22 of the items.  We found about 19 of them.  Here are 2 of my team's favorites.



We finished with dinner at The Floridian which was somewhere new to us.  The food was good but it was a little chilly as we were sitting outside.  They had heaters which did help.  I had the N Waffles with BBQ chicken and really enjoyed it.  We also ordered the Cheese Board which had some wonderful local cheeses on it.  The cheese was definitely aged well!  I won't post the picture I took there because my mother is already not happy that I posted it on Facebook.  I blame my old eyes for not being able to see that she wasn't smiling!  All in all it was a great celebration of my oldest turning nineteen. 

No comments: