Sunday, February 14, 2016

Surprise of a Lifetime, Part 1

Positive!  That is what the pregnancy test said.  Unfortunately, I was not as excited as I should have been.  I wanted another child but having a 2 year old and a 9 month old only 20 months apart, I had desired waiting until the #2 was 18 months to begin trying for a 3rd child.  Hubby, on the other hand, was thrilled when I told him.  I was being selfish and not wanting to go through the morning sickness and stretched out body again so soon but thankfully, God convicted me of my feelings and soon I was excited that number #3 was on their way. 

My morning sickness lasted a little longer this time around and my clothes got snug way faster but it was the third pregnancy in as many years.  I had finally gotten over the morning sickness in the 4th month when I apparently contracted food poisoning from eating out at a salad bar.  After a night of vomiting and wishing the morning sickness would just come back, I told hubby to take me to the ER because I feared I was dehydrated.  I was so they gave me an IV of fluids along with listening for the baby’s heartbeat, which was thankfully beating strong. 

The next week, was finally our ultrasound appointment.  Hubby and I went back and forth on whether we wanted to find out the sex of the baby.  I had enjoyed the surprise we had with #1 of not finding out but hubby wanted to find out since we already had 2 girls.  We decided to find out.  The ultrasound technician got me set up on the table and started asking us questions like what did we think it was and how many children we already had.  She did a test swipe and then took the wand off.  Her questions then were things like did we have a bet since we each thought it was a different sex and did I take fertility drugs.  I finally looked over at my husband and said “Is she trying to tell us something?”  She put the wand back on and said “It’s identical twin girls!”  All that from one swipe!  We were speechless and I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry so I did a little of both.  I think we walked out of the office on cloud 9.  Neither of us would have ever dreamed we were having twins, especially identical ones!  Now we had the fun of telling family and friends.


My family was waiting anxiously to hear whether we were having a boy or a girl when we pulled up to my parents’ house.  We got out of the car, each with a ultrasound picture and one of us showed theirs saying, “It’s a girl!” and then the other quickly said, “And another girl!”  It took a few seconds for it to sink in but then the shrieks and cries of joy started.  We then made calls to other parents followed by calls to our church family.  Everyone was as shocked and thrilled as we were.  Then fun was just beginning! 


No comments: