Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Surprise of a Lifetime, Part 2

Twins!  I think it started sinking in and now it was time to start thinking of how we were going to go from 2 to 4 girls all under age 4.  We started having monthly ultrasounds so it was fun to see them getting bigger.  The babies were pretty much next to each other when we first saw them but by the next appointment, Baby B had moved down and Baby A was tucked up on the left side.  They pretty much stayed there for the rest of the pregnancy.  Thankfully, I never was put on bed rest but I definitely slowed way down in the last trimester.  I got so large that I couldn’t get to our dryer so hubby or sweet friends from church had to help me with the laundry.

Before we found out it was twins, we had begun discussing another girl name and were leaning towards Abigail.  After we found out we had to come up with 2 names, we had to figure out first if we were going to rhyme them, have them start with the same first letter or just do totally separate.  Since we already had one name, we decided to do both of them as Biblical names.  Hannah was chosen to go with it.

My biggest concern was the possibility of having a c-section and as I got close to the end, it was determined that would be the safest delivery due to Baby B being breech.  There was too much possibility of the cords tangling to deliver naturally.  I made it to 37 weeks, which is like 40 weeks for multiples, so the doctor and I were ready to have these babies arrive.  Since my first 2 girls were born on the 14th of the month, we thought it would be great to have the twins on that date also.  Unfortunately, that was Valentine’s day and it fell on a Saturday so we couldn’t do a scheduled c-section so we scheduled for the following Monday, February 16th and I prayed labor would start earlier.  That didn’t happen so at 12:25 p.m., February 16, 1998, Baby B was pulled out first to be labeled Baby A and given the name Hannah.  A minute later, her sister came out and was named Abigail.  We decided the order of the names because Abigail means “father rejoices” and for us that was because she was the last one or so we thought but that is another blog post.  2 healthy babies crying their lungs out was a beautiful sound.


It is hard to believe all this took place 18 years ago because many times it seems like yesterday.  God has allowed these 2 scrawny babies to grow into beautiful young ladies both inside and out and gave me the grace to be their mother.  I look forward to seeing what God has in store for them and maybe He will even allow me to be a grandmother to twins because that would be the cherry on top!

Happy 18th birthday, girls!!  I love you!





No comments: