Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Our Use Of the English Language

This is a repost of one of my favorite entries from my other blog. It was originally posted 12/28/05

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Dh and I were watching the Gettysburg Dvd he received for Christmas (his loving wife got it for him ) As we were watching the part leading up to and just after the final charge, I was listening to their speech. It was eloquant and respectful. Even in their disagreements, they showed respect and courtesy to one another such as during the discussion of evolution when Armistead responds after Pickett challenges someone to claim that Lee descended from the apes "George, all science trembles before the searing logic of your fiery intellect." Can you imagine how someone would say that nowadays? Probably "Talk to the hand"

Then at the end, this dialogue between Lee and Kemper who has been told he is dying:


Lee: I do hope you are not seriously injured.
                  
Kemper: They tell me that it's mortal, General.
                  
Lee: I do pray God that it is not the case. Is there
     anything I can do?
                  
Kemper: There's nothing more you can do for me.
        But, General Lee, will you see to it
 that full justice is done for my men...
 who made this charge today?

I am sure we would not hear that on the battlefield today.

Our society, in general, has lost the eloquance of our language and that is a shame.  I know it has made me think more on how I use my words and how I am teaching my girls.

No comments: